Thursday, January 04, 2007
Helpdesk Hints
My customers were pissing me off so bad yesterday that I sent a few of my friends some hints on what they should or should not do when calling their helpdesk at work. My twin works in a helpdesk too, and she replied back with some of her own. She and I got a good kick out of it, but the tips that we gave are really true and can help save your helpdesk techs a headache, and you from the frustration of feeling like the techs don’t comprehend what you’re saying or that you’re wasting your time. So I decided to share some hints with you guys:

• When something funky is going on with your PC and you have the feeling that we’re going to tell you to reboot your PC, so you do it trying to be proactive – please WAIT for your PC to come back up before calling the helpdesk. We don’t want to sit on the phone with you waiting for it to come back up. And if the reboot fixes the problem, you’ve just wasted our time, and left other people who really needed our help on hold. Thanks!

• Please don’t call and say, “It’s broke!” What’s broke? And what’s wrong with it? Be more specific!

• Please don’t call and say, “I can’t get in!” Unless all of your passwords for the multiple systems you use are intertwined together, again BE MORE SPECIFIC. “I’m unable to log into ABC application” will get you a lot further, faster.

• Don’t call to get assistance with something, and when we try to walk you through some steps to get it fixed say, “I don’t have time to work on the issue!” If you don’t have time, why did you call?

• And when you call, don’t say “My computer worked yesterday (or earlier today) why doesn’t it work now?” I don’t freaking know! It could be multiple reasons why it stopped working… I’m not a psychic!! Or if we tell you what the problem could be, don’t say “Oh no! That’s not it!” If you know what the problem is, why ask?

• When your account gets locked out, please don’t ask “Why is it locked out?” Ummm.. maybe, just maybe, YOU TYPED THE WRONG PASSWORD? Even if it was a typo.. it still was wrong.

• Just because we’re called a helpdesk, doesn’t mean that we help with EVERYTHING! If your lights in your office or cubicle don’t work, that’s an ELECTRICAL problem, not a TECHNICAL problem.

• When you call and we offer suggestions to resolve the issue, please don’t tell us that “I know that’s not going to work! But I’ll do it anyways…” If you know it’s not going to work, fix the problem yourself with something you know will work! And don’t act all surprised when what we told you do works… Um! That’s what we get paid to do :-)

Those are just a FEW suggestions that we came up with, cause we could’ve gone on all day for real! If you took offense to anyone of these items, stop taking shit so personal! LOL. For real, if you have done any of the above items, please stop! And if you’ve never done it… GREAT! Keep it that way! LOL.
 
posted by TTD at 1/04/2007 09:23:00 AM | Permalink |


15 Comments:


  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky

    I halfway want to call your helpdesk multiple times just so I can mess with you and see if I can get you to cuss or something. Why that brings me amusement, I don't know.

    I'll have to work on finding some truly stupid questions that you haven't heard yet.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ms.Honey

    I concur with freaky LOL..I wanna be like can I speak with TTD...girl it's broke and I can't get in LOL and then hang up LOL

    But I totally feel ya I try to reboot and what not before I call my helpdesk but sometimes they tell me stuff I've already done and get mad cause I tell em I already did that LOL

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    freaky - i can keep my cool (on the phone) i wont curse (at you) lol.. and im pretty sure i've heard most of them.. if not all...

    honey - i dont get mad.. i just have to come up w/ something else for you to try.. lol.. at least u actually try fixing things.. cause most people dont even bother... and dont even want to bother w/ what u try to tell them

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Lāā

    LOL

    Good tips. Can you actually email these to your clients?

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Lady J

    Those tips were funny but true. Whenever you are dealing in customer service ppl already think you have all the answers. As long as you can keep a sense of humor about it you will be fine. Have a great day!!!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Drama Kween

    lmao @stop taking shit personal

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Ladynay

    May I send this to my IT buddy at work? He'd get a laugh out of this? I know I did.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    laa - i wish i could!

    lady j - i try my best! u too!

    kween - u know someone will

    ladynay - be my guest...

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger NegroPino™

    i HATE when theres a computer program and they think I know how to solve it before the IT dept. THe thing with our IT dept is u hafta have a ticket and although Dana the IT guy is 2 doors down from me i cant go knocking on his door i gotta go thru the proper channels which could take hours. My best friend CONTROL+ALT+DELETE..:)

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Blogger Mahogany Misfit

    What fucking jackasses have called a help desk about a light in their damn cubicle? That would piss me off too girl. What a bunch of assclowns.

    Good tips though.

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger Sangindiva

    Hey Tiff!

    This was tooo funny! I KNOW people call with the "STOOPID-IST" questions ever but this was cute :)

    THAT is why I am a Mac girl!!!

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Beana

    Dealing with PEOPLE is a trip anyway. I know your frustration first hand. I bet you make the same faces through the phone that I do. That "what da hell?" face! LOL

     
  • At 12:10 AM, Blogger BeautyinBaltimore

    I'm not very tech savy at all, but I think I only made one mistakeon your list. I guess that does not make me to much of a dummy.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm glad I'm not you and I will make an effort to help my helpdesk guy help me. Ya'll really work hard having to deal with technical problems and dealing with the dumb people (me included) that caused them!

     
  • At 3:49 AM, Blogger *snake*bite*

    Happy New Year girly!

    I am a bit backdated with the blogs as it has been mad busy at work since i got back.

    Well i am sitting at work and i had to get my colleague to read as we both work on a helpdesk and think exactly the same things but we actually say some of those things to the people - sometimes we get away with it sometimes we don't.

    Glad to hear that it is not just me thst thinks that way!

    xxS*Bxx