Monday, July 24, 2006
Surprise!!!
So Saturday was my mom’s surprise birthday party. It was a HUGE success. My pictures didn’t come out great so you’ll have to wait a little while until I get some from my family/friends to post (I realized why my pictures don’t come out – most people don’t realize that w/ a digital camera, there are 2 flashes and they move right after the 1st one and fuck up my picture…. I have to start letting people know!)

Saturday morning… I was up bright and early getting everything together. My mom thought I had to work, so she wasn’t concerned about where I was. My friends really came through for me. Tarisa and Kiya helped me set up and Sheneka did all of the running around for me (cake, chicken, meat/cheese platter, ice…. Whatever I needed – she picked it up!)

I had an attitude right around the time people were supposed to come. My brother (the DJ) was late. Not late in the sense that he wasn’t there before my mother, but late in the sense that he said he’d be there at 5:30 and he didn’t come until 6:45PM/7PM – but I really couldn’t be mad b/c he worked for a bottle of Hennessy…. But still!!! And then! I heard my one cousin wanted to bring her daughter (5) even though the invitation said NO CHILDREN UNDER 14. So I had to relay a nasty message to her. Then I was a little disappointed that most of my family weren’t there to yell Surprise…. It was my friends and my grandmother friends and a handful of my family members.

7PM… SHOW TIME! People started coming. Another reason I had an attitude… I said ARRIVE AT 7PM… people were still coming at 7:20 >:-{ Luckily James took his time with her. The plan to get her to come without suspecting anything was to say that he wanted to throw me a surprise birthday party in September and that he wanted her to look at some halls with him. They went to this one tavern, were there for a while, then went to this small club (more like a bar w/ a dance floor) but they were all in the area. They arrived about 7:40ish. As soon as she hit the corner… SURPRISE!!!! She really was surprised… she had no clue! And I made sure that she wouldn’t suspect anything because her birthday was Friday and I made sure that it was a good one. I got her hair done for her in the morning. Gave her her gifts and took her to dinner at Phillip’s Seafood Restaurant. So she thought I was done…

The expression on her face was priceless. She was so happy. After she changed into the outfit that I bought for her, we ate & drank and the party began!! My mother really enjoyed herself. My one girlfriend Kiya is Beyonce whenever we got out. Any Beyonce or Destiny’s Child song that comes on…. She’s doing the “Beyonce.” Well my brother played “Crazy in Love” and Kiya started doing her thing. My mother went up next to her, watched her for a few seconds and was doing it with her!! That was the highlight of the night!! LOL! And what’s crazy… she was doing it better than my homegirl! And then my dad was there. He kept saying to my aunt how he wanted a dance with my mom… well she danced with him alright! She backed his ass up! LOL! James was like “Your mom is showing off!” I was like... that’s that Hennessy she got up I her! LMAO!!

She got so much stuff for her birthday… And she’s still smiling about the party. My friends thought that she was going to cry… but my mom’s a soldier… she didn’t cry, but she didn’t stop smiling the whole night!

Whenever I get better pictures… I’ll make sure I post them. Next events: Cookout, MJB concert, Crab Feast, my brother’s party, Niagara Falls….

Update: I forgot to mention, after my mom's party, we had an after party at James'... so much fun! It was crazy.. by time my brother & I got there after my mom's party.. the place was packed!! I was sooo drunk! People didnt leave until 4AM! So Sat was definitely a good day :-)
 
posted by TTD at 7/24/2006 04:59:00 PM | Permalink |


12 Comments:


  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger BeautyinBaltimore

    Hello, its so good to see another Baltimore blogger. Are there a lot of African-American females from B-more blogging?

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Glad everything worked out!! =) Meatballs were bangin'!!
    The white party pictures are nice too! Now, what about that pool party?!?!?!?!?!?

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME

    I'm glad the party was a success!

    So much to do...so little time!

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lāā

    That's so cool that your Mom's surprise party really turned out nice. I bet that was something to see...your Mom doing the Beyonce!

    I love Mary and all but her tickets were too high ($85 for regular seating) for me this go around.

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger chele

    Sounds like a great time! I can imagine your mom doing the "Beyonce" better than your homegirl.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger TTD

    hi channel.. there are a few of us (kionne, tarisa, candy) most of them are from PG county & the DC area

    tarisa - pool party is on!!

    luvin me - it really was!

    laa - our highest seats were $65

    chele - i couldnt believe it! it was soo funny!

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey

    AWWW I'm soo glad your mom had fun..don't you just love when you can do stuff to make your mom smile.

    I told my roomie (Killa) about your brothers party so we might try to roll through....

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Miz JJ

    That's so great that you planned such a nice party for your mom and that it all worked out. Sounds like your summer is just getting into high gear.

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Grant

    Most digital cameras have a setting so you can turn off the initial flash, although that's supposed to prevent redeye or something. Just scream "Hold still" at everyone you photograph.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why

    don't you love it when you schedule a party at 7pm...and people show up at 7:30pm....next time i throw something i'm giving them a 30minute buffer...

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Freaky Deaky

    Now you know you have to tell some people the start time is an hour earlier than it actually it is. Either that or tell them it costs money to get in after such and such time, lol.

    Sounds like your mom should be touring with Busta or someone. She's live.

    I'm glad everyone had a blast.

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Sangindiva

    Awww Tiff!
    I'm soooo Glad your mom had a great time and the party was a success!!!
    Just the way you described made me KNOW it was the bomb! I'm sure she was sooooo happy! You're a great daughter. She is probably telling everyone! hahaha!