Tuesday, April 25, 2006
The Conversation
First, I want to thank all of ya’ll for the kind words that my sister is lucky to have me. I really appreciate it. And I thank you for the advice that was given to me, although I couldn’t apply it by the time that I received them, any time I have to talk to her or my other little sister, I’ll keep them in thought! Now on to the conversation….

The conversation went like this. I’m in blue and my little sister is in green.

So what’s up with school?
Nothing, I just have to do some extra work so I can pass these classes.
No, I mean why are you failing in the first place?
Did you talk to Daddy?
Yeah.
What he say?
He told me what was up, but I rather hear it from you.
I’m failing three classes and I have to make up the work so I can graduate.
Why are you failing? Are the classes hard, you don’t like the work, you bored? Help me understand the problem.
No they not hard.
Why have you been hooking school?
I don’t really call it hooking… I’ve just been leaving early.
Girl that’s hooking… Where you going when you hook?
Well, the last few times, I’ve been looking for jobs.
Jobs where?
The mall.
Where in the mall?
I just put in applications in most of the stores in the mall.
Well, that’s no real reason to hook school. Think about it. You leave school to find a job that’s going to pay you no more than $7 and hour. You run the risk of failing the 12th grade and you won’t be able to get a better job paying $12 or something that requires a high school diploma. Does that make sense to you?
I see what you saying.
You know your father [I don’t claim him] thinks you’re hooking school to go see some dudes?
What?!? No I’m not.
Well, that’s what he thinks. He said that the days that you hook, you come straight home and take a bath. Is that true?
No!
Well, I don’t really care what you doing, but you really need to be in school. You won’t be able to do anything with your life if you don’t. If niggas is the reason you’re hooking, please be smarter than that. Niggas ain’t shit! They just want to fuck. And you should never put your life in jeopardy because of someone else. And hooking school to find a job is not a good reason either. The malls are open until 9… you can go up there when you finish school. You’re 18. You’re an adult. Once the school year ends, whether you graduate or not, your aunt can put you out. And then what? Do you have plans for after school?
Yeah. I want to go to Medix.
Well you know that won’t happen if you don’t graduate from high school?
Yeah.
Did you say that if you don’t graduate, you can just get your GED?
No!!
Well, even if that was a thought to you… trying to get your GED is 10 times harder than just going to school and doing what you’re supposed to do… Just something to think about.

Then there was silence for a little while. I didn’t want her to think I was drilling her, and I wanted to make sure everything sunk in.

I know it’s probably hard for you to listen to me or your father since we haven’t really been in your life like that before. And I feel you on him, because he had the opportunities to be there for us before and didn't. I even feel like he can’t say a damn thing to me too, but the point is, we do care about you and what happens to you.
I know.
Why you lie to me?
I didn’t.
Yes you did. Every time we talk, I always ask you how is school, you say fine, but you know it’s not. Why lie?
I don’t know.
When’s the last time you talk to Na-Na? [that’s one of her little sisters – they have different fathers, so she lives with her dad.]
Yesterday.
Does she know about your school situation?
Yes.
See, that’s what I’m talking about. Why can you talk to her, and not to me?
Because you’re going to be mad.
No I’m not.
Yes you will. You are now.
I’m mad because you lied to me. I’m your sister. I love you regardless. But if your having problems in school, I much rather you talk to me being up front and honest from jump so I can do all that I can to help you. When you lie, I’m going to eventually find out and be pissed cause you lied to me. I’m not going to judge you, I want to help you. But I can’t help you if you don’t come to me.
OK. I won’t lie to you again. And I’ll come to you if I need help.

Are you having sex?
No.
I looked at her like, bitch don’t lie!
For real! I’m not.
You have a boyfriend?
Yeah.
How old is he?
23
You have a 23 year old boyfriend, and you’re not having sex?
No! But let me ask you this. By him being that age, and the fact that he hasn’t even asked to have sex… do you think he’s cheating?
Yes! Well let me rephrase that. As I said before, most niggas ain’t shit! There are a few decent dudes out there that aren’t looking just to have sex, but 9 out of 10 of them are! I can’t really say by not knowing the dude.

Then we picked up GTL and headed over to Kween’s for her cook out. So we kind of ended that topic of conversation

When I took her home she asked me when was I going to come get her again. I said, when you graduate, we can hang out all you want. I gave her a big hug, and said, “Don’t forget what I said. I’m here for you, just come to me. And PLEASE don’t lie to me.” She said OK and went into the house.

So I think my talk helped. I really hope that it did and that I get to see my sister walk across the stage in June.

 
posted by TTD at 4/25/2006 06:34:00 PM | Permalink |


18 Comments:


  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Darbs

    Job well done...and I'm praying that you will be able to see her cross that stage in June! Keep us posted!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Grant

    Sounds like you did the best anyone could - listening, advising, expressing love and concern without being overbearing and controlling. Good job.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME

    I really hope she took what you said to heart. Hopefully she'll do better.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Miz JJ

    Sounds like you did the best you could. At least you know you tried. I hope you get to see her graduate!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger chele

    I think all she needed to know was that you're there for her and that you love her. My older sister was never around for me and I really wish she had been. You did a great job with her. I know you'll be sitting at that graduation in June!

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger TTD

    thanks...

    TSG.. i thought the same thing.. and then i had to remember when i was that age.. i was into older dudes as well.. only differnce is, i wasnt naive to think that ALL guys were nice and that they really liked me for me.. i knew that 5 years apart they only had 1 thing in mind...

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Drama Kween

    ok that brought a tear to my eye...i love it...TTD good job...keep at it you have impact on her, i feel it

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger SomeOne

    you gave good sound advise, were stern with our being too preachy, hopefully she gets the point and it will stick.....good louck to her

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger NegroPino™

    Thats good advice...I hope she listens to it.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Ms.Honey

    Good advice....hopefully she takes it to heart that you took the time to talk to her and keep it real.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL@bitch don't lie.

    I'm glad you spoke to her and cleared things up. You're a great big sister!!!!!

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    that last comment was me

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Ok OK you got to skool her young butt...girl ya sister gots ta get together b4 its all she wrote honey....She need to keep her mind off them dudes and focus on schoolwork...But TTD I know you will help her out and guide her in the right direction...good looking out!

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Ladynay

    Let's see what happends, I hope what you said sunk in....

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why

    i hope she gets the talk saved to her brain..good talking....good luck

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Nika Laqui

    I hope she listens, I'm glad you schooled her, but you know most people are hardheaded and like to find out the hard way, let's hope she doesn't.

    I disagree with the GED, statement. The test wasn't hard at all, most of the material on the test an 8th grader should be able to pass it. Now the constitution, may be hard, but I didn't have to take that part cause I had already passed it in highschool. However, I would rather have a diploma from my highschool, but I had to work, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. I had to care for myself and refused to partake in illegal, demoralizing, or unhealthy acts to get money. I took the GED, finished the test in a third of the time allowed, with high scores. It was simple for me cause I know how to take tests. But for many, it is hard to get that GED.

    You need to hang out with her more, so she can look up to you and have someone to always talk to. I hope she does the right thing. Its hard when you take the road less traveled...

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger TTD

    insanely.. your the 1st person that said the GED was easy... my cousin has attempted numerous of times & STILL hasnt passed it! i guess when you have to drop due to unforseen circumstances even when you're doing well in school is different than when you've been fucking up from the door so everything you learn in GED school seems brand new...

    i do wanna spend more time w/ her... right now it's kinda hard though b/c she lives like 40 min away & by me working EVERYDAY makes it difficult... i also want to give her an incentive to do well.. which is why is said i'll come get her again once she graduates...

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Nika Laqui

    You're right about that, thats the only reason I did well, I was already prepared. Its not like I dropped out cause I was dumb, no, I had to survive...