Saturday, March 11, 2006
Who would you choose?
For my 9th thru 11th grade years, I attended St. Frances Academy (catholic school.) We had a course called Sisters for all girls (and guys had a course called Boyz to Men ~ or something like that) Anyways... this class was to help shape the person we were to become. I found the class to be a waste of 45 min, especially since we had to take it every year, but it was an easy A! The only thing that I remember from that class from all 3 years is watching the movie Beloved and tripping off of when the girl said to Danny Glover, "I want you to climb on top of me and scream my name" I thought that shit was the funniest!

But more seriously, I remember my teacher posed this scenerio to us: You, your boyfriend, and your best friend were at the top of a cliff. Your boyfriend and best friend both fall over, but you were able to grab the both of them. They both started to slip from your grasp making it impossible for you to save both of them. You had to chose which one you would save. Which one would it be?

I learned a lot from that question & discussion session. I'm just curious as to how you all would answer. So place your response in the comment section and then I'll give you the lesson I learned from this scenerio...

And for the smartalicks out there: don't say you wouldn't be on a cliff, and fellas change boyfriend to girlfriend!

Edit:
Assume that you and your girlfriend/boyfriend share a serious relationship. At the time this question was posed to me, I was in high school, but I think it's safe to assume that all my readers are adults here, so if you like, you can change the term boyfriend/girlfriend to husband/wife/fiance.

Who would you choose?
 
posted by TTD at 3/11/2006 12:32:00 PM | Permalink |


14 Comments:


  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Eridanus

    What a difficult question to find... well, I guess that it all depends on what is meant by 'girlfriend' (in my case, as a man): if she is the One, than I think my best friend (knowing that, of course) will take the initiative to free himself, or herself from my grab, and I would not have to choose... If she is not the One, then, may God have mercy on us all...

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Darbs

    First let me thank you for visiting my blog. You were the first (and only) person to leave a comment...thank you for reassuring me that I wasn't just talking to myself :o)

    Answering your question, as I don't know how long I have been with my boyfriend or how serious the relationship is (or if he considers me to be be his girlfriend - you know how THAT is)...I'm prompted to pick my best friend. As this is my "BEST" friend, it is safe to assume that there is history and great deal of love between us.

    So...if I MUST chose one or the other...I would chose my best friend.

    I'm afraid to know what this means :o)

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Blogger nosthegametoo

    Alright, here's my cop-out answer:

    I don't have a girlfriend, so I'd choose my best friend. But, given the last women I've dated, I'd still choose him.

    I know that's probably pretty weak.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Rell

    honestly I'd let both of them fall. That way there would be no ill will from people about how I saved the other one instead of the other one.

    I would give it my all but in the end they shouldn't have fallen off a cliff.
    If they both go, no guilty feelings for me and no questions of "why?"

    There was a scenario like this on that movie with Mackulky Colkin (spelled wrong( and Elijah Wood called "The Good Son." Good movie...

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hay girl...whats up with ya...nice blog and thank ya for visiting mine!! Oh and I will be back

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Drama Kween

    of course I see this on today after going to hell and coming back...the choice to me is simple (if it was my husband) I would choose him (not husband aka boyfriend) my best friend...

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Lāā

    That would be a hard decision...I think that I would save my boyfriend and hope that maybe with his strength he would be able to hold onto her and with my adrenaline pumping I could pull both of them up.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME

    Wow! That's a hard question, but by the way I'm feeling right now, my best friend would have to go (You can see why in my post for today).

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Ms.Honey

    Dang...thinking on a monday. What a way to begin the week. Aight well depends on how serious me and the boyfriend were or said husband...if it were my husband I would probably choose him, since he would hopefully be my best friend if my best friend understood that I loved this man then perhaps she would let herself go or he would let himself go..maybe they can choose so I wouldn't have to.

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Miz JJ

    I love Rell's comment about letting them both go. I am still laughing. If it were my best girlfriend versus the best dude I've ever dated I'd pick my best girlfriend in a heartbeat. She has been there through too much for me to sacrifice her over a man.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger MZPEACH

    I would choose my bestfriend, because any respectable man wouldn't have it any other way. You know?

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'd save my friend, not the man I'm dating/seeing. Sorry. If my husband, wow, I'd have to save him then.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Peace

    Damn,
    Thats HARD question! At this point, I'd have to save my best friend, she has a new baby she needs to live for!!!
    peace!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger nikki

    it would depend on a number of things:

    if i'd only just made her my best friend but i'd been dating the boyfriend for years and we were on the verge of marriage, then i'd save him.

    if i knew her longer than him, i'd save her.

    if i met them at the same time, i'd save him because we need good black men and no doubt if he's my boyfriend, he's a good black man.

    if one of them had kids, i'd save the one with the kids.

    if they both had kids, i'd save her because kids seem to be more traumatized after losing a mom.

    if i'd just caught him cheating but we were trying to work things out, he's a goner.

    if i'd just found out she was talking about me behind my back, she's a goner.

    and those are just a few of the scenarios. hopefully i wouldn't put too much thought into it. otherwise, we'd all be going over the cliff.