Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Can you keep your friends while in a relationship?
I think so. Yesterday, my friend and I had a discussion about how she feels that we are growing apart. She tried to put this all on me saying that I "dumped" her for "James and his friends." I let her speak her peace and then I had to tell her about herself. She and I used to talk everyday on my ride home for work.. and then when I got home (since we live together) we would talk more. On the weekends, my mornings and nights were spent w/ James and during the day, I would chill with her (and Brandon.. he was so cute at the zoo Saturday)


Recently.... she doesn't call me on my way home.. when I walk in the door, she's on the phone w/ someone else, and on the weekends, she's no longer home for us to hang out together. I had to let her know that the reason we weren't as close anymore isn't all on me.. She doesn't care for one of my new found friends and she has made it very clear to me that if this particular person is around, don't invite her.. so I don't! It's not my fault that my friends like to do things and she can't grow up and let go of her issues with this person. Acting like a child "I don't like her, I don't want to be around her" will make her miss out on a lot of the things that I do and therefore we won't hang out as much. Now she also said that I spend ALL of my time w/ my boyfriend and that kind of bothered me b/c I'm the type of person that feels strongly about keeping all good friends around even when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend in your life. (Not saying that James and I will break up.. but...) your friends were there before your new love and if things don't work out b/w ya'll, your friends will still be there after ya'll break up... so don't toss them to the waste-side while things are great b/w you and your partner. Granted.. you may not SEE your friends as much b/c most of your time will be spent w/ your partner, but you should remain in constant contact w/ your friends. And I do.. but one thing about me is that if you cut off contact w/ me.. I'm not going to break my neck to keep in contact w/ you.. a friendship is a 2-way street.. and if I'm putting forth the effort, than so should you! But that comment kind of bothered me b/c I'm like if I spend so much time with James.. how can you be upset that I spend so much time with my new found friends?? That makes no sense!
 
posted by TTD at 9/14/2005 03:58:00 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow. Just read your blog. wow...
    from: T