Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Playmate vs. Soul-Mate
In our quest for happiness we must be sure that we don't settle for a Playmate when God has a Soul mate waiting for us. Sometimes this is a hard distinction to make. Playmates are tricky. They are so much fun to be with that even the smartest of us will be fooled into thinking this has to be your Soul mate. Worse yet too many of us attempt to make a Soul mate out of a Playmate. The danger of this is that later, after years of playing we will meet our Soul mate, but it may be too late then. We may have already made a Life mate of our Playmate and created life-long bonds emotional, children, etc.) Or we may have been hurt from playing so hard that we are in no shape ourselves to be anyone's anything.

How can we distinguish between the Soul mate and the Playmate? First, we must be open with ourselves about who we really are and what our soul yearns for. Only you and God know what is truly in your heart and mind. Only you know what will make you truly happy and whole. In order to find your Soul mate you have to know you, first. You must be willing to listen to that inner voice. Is that voice telling you that the nerdy person you enjoy talking and sharing your thoughts with, could be he? What about that friend who is always willing to go the extra mile for you when no one else will. Oh no! He's too short or too tall, balding or too hairy, and on and on? Just too ordinary looking for me! Then there's that girl who makes you feel so special when you’re around her, but she doesn't match that ideal you have conjured in your head. She's too tall, not slender enough, not light or dark enough, not shapely enough, not attractive enough, and on and on. She just couldn't be for me!

So what if he or she doesn't look like Allen Iverson or Halle Berry! He or she is going to treat you like the jewel that you are. Not only that, his or her soul and yours will commune in ways you never imagined possible! In order to heed that voice, we have to put on the back burner our own superficial thinking. Could it be that your inner desire is for a truly genuine person with a good heart?

If you enjoy playing, stay on the playground. There are plenty of Playmates out there to occupy your time. But don't spend too much time playing or you may play your life away. Eventually the playing loses its appeal and your soul begins to crave a deeper, more meaningful connection. Your soul begins to crave your Soul mate.

Do you know which one you have???? I know which one I have :o) I have a soul-mate. My husband is the best thing that has ever happened to me. And at the time our paths re-crossed, I had a playmate and that inner voice spoke to me, and I decided to listen, and I can’t be any happier that I did. He makes me feel special; I enjoy sharing my thoughts and dreams with him – and I love the fact that he listens to me and genuinely cares about me and my feelings and offers advice to me that’s for the benefit of me. We have so many things in common – in our past, present and future (which is why I want that ring JWD) I can always count on him to be there for me in my time of need and he never lets me down. Although it can be fun playing on the playground, life is so much better when you have a soul-mate to share it with!!!
 
posted by TTD at 1/04/2006 02:53:00 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Drama Kween

    Wow, that's deep, and oh so true...good topic...too many of us (i definitely include myself in this one) settle without consulting God and He had the best just waitinf for us, all we have to do is turn to Him first...love it!

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Lucy

    Good thoughts. :)

    BTW, I changed the URL of my blog from madelynssecret to madelyns-secret.blogspot.com -- long story. :)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger chele

    I like the way you compare Playmate and Soulmate.

    I've spent alot of time on the playground and it was no fun at all. The playground is for games and I left Candyland at my mama's house.

    I have never heard a suitable enought defintion of "soulmate" in order for me to believe that it even exists. The word is so overused nowadays that it seems to have lost any meaning for me at all.

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Rell

    very solid post -- I agree with you 100 percent.