Wednesday, August 03, 2005
You're Stupid!
How can you tell someone that you strongly disagree w/ their decisions/actions w/o saying "You're so stupid!" And w/o hurting their feelings, but still getting your point across?

My best friend lacks the ability to use the common sense that God gave her. She has a child that she needs to make him her number 1 priority, but she's too selfish to do so. She's too concerned about having a man in her life and having a social life, than being worried about whether or not her son is potty-trained or if he can speak clearly. She's so pressed about dating someone that she dates people that she works with... this is a big no-no. When you're in high school and you don't know better and you have no real responsibilities, then ok, I'll permit it. But you're grown! And you have a lot of responibilities that you have been neglecting and putting off to the back burner long enough. I talk about with my husband, with my mother, and I take their advice, yet I still get no where with this girl.

Sometimes I think that I care more about the well-being of her son than she does. And that should never be the case. It's hard to talk to her b/c she's so defensive and although she hears what you're saying to her, she doesn't listen b/c she's thinking about what to say as soon as I pause to take a breath... how can she defend herself. So I opt to emailing her my thoughts. That way she will read all of it (and hopefully I won't forget any of my opinions) before she has a chance to respond. Most times her reply is "I know, I plan to do...." And she really puts forth an effort for like a week, and then it's back to the drawing board. My husband tells me to be nice when I right these emails, but that's not me. But I listened anyway.. all but once. And when I didn't listen, I hurt her feelings and made her cry. That wasn't my intentions, but she really needs to open her eyes to things. I was also told to back away and let her handling things on my own, but my Godson is at stake and I can't do that. I may not care about a lot of people, but I do care about my baby!

I need help getting into her thick skull! If anyone has any suggestions to how to talk to this chick.... PLEASE help! I can't go too much into detail about her situation, I'd hate to put her out there like that, but if you feel where I'm coming from a little bit, please tell me what you think....
 
posted by TTD at 8/03/2005 02:35:00 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger jamboree

    i know of a similar situation. not exact but close enough. and you probably wont want to hear what i have to say... but you did ask. you probably need to walk away. NOT from the boy but from her. do what you can to keep the child on the right path, be there for him. maybe even take up the slack left by his mother. but as for trying to get her to listen- save your breath for teaching the child what his mom obviously cant. there- thats my advice. even if you dont like it or even believe in it, maybe it will give you an idea that may help. i know my 2 cents arent worth even that but i do hope it helps in some small way.